My dear Aussie man loves peanut butter. His speciality is satay sauce based Thai dishes. I have always found it a bit difficult to add half a cup of peanut BUTTER into the sauce. I love to eat it, but the idea of cooking this massively fatty sauce creates a challenge for me. A few months ago I decided that our home cooking needs new ideas , new satay ideas!
We got a lovely book called ’Jamie’s 30 minute meals’ for Christmas present the other Christmas from my mother-in-law. I don’t like fast cooking as it is an enjoyment for me to cook and taste and have a glass of wine to speed up my cooking so I was suspicious whether one can cook a delicious meal in 30 minutes. After testing some of those recipes I realised that they are fantastica and that it is Jamie only who takes 30 minutes to cook these meals. For a normal human being it is a lot longer process! One of my favourite recipe in this book is the Satay Chicken Skewers.The skewer recipe below is sligthly moderated from the original recipe. I hope you find it tasty. I think it is heavenly. We have had some great moments with my Aussie man’s friends eating these skewers and watching Aussie rules football with cans of beer.
small bunch of fresh coriander
1 fresh red chilli (remember to remove the seeds otherwise your meal is burning hot!!!!!)
1/2 clove garlic
4-5 tbs crunchy peanut butter
3-4 tbs soy sauce
2cm piece of fresh peeled ginger
1/2 dl cold water
1 lime squeezed (not necessary, but it gives an exotic flavour)
2-3 chiken breats cut into cubes
1. Heat up the oven to 180 celsius degrees. Soak the skewer sticks in the cold water. Cut the red chilli and ginger into small pieces.
2. Smooth coriander, chilli, garlic, ginger and peanut butter in the food processor.
3. Add soy sauce (and lime juice).
4. Add some water to make the sauce running enough. Cut chicken breasts into small cubes. Mix the cubes into the sauce and let it sit for 15-20 min to get the flavours in.
5. Take the skewer sticks from the water. Put the satay saucy chicken cubes into the skewers. Place them nicely into a baking dish.
6. Cook them until they turn to nicely brown (15min). Squeese some honey on the top of the skewers and cook them for five more minutes.
Serve with salad. It is delightful!