It is summer time in London, I know it is August but finally we get some sunshine and hot weather, 29-30 degrees three days in a row! After this rainy summer one can certainly appreciate this. I love rhubarb and so does my dear Aussie husband, for this weekend I decided to bake some rhubarb pie. In fact I had never baked rhubarb pie before..mostly just other berry pies, but it turned out to be pretty tasty. The best part of the pie is the rye flour in the base, it gives a nice grainy flavour.
100 g butter
1 dl sugar
1,5 dl plain white flour (not self-raising)
1 dl rye flour
1 tl baking powder
rhubarb small cubes
250 g Fromage Frais (in Finland you can use ”maitorahka”, which I cannot find here)
1 dl sugar
2 tl vanilla sugar or 1/2tsp cardamom depending if you wish to have a vanilla or cardamom flavour
1. To prepare the base whisk butter and sugar together after it is foamy whisk the egg in. Mix dry ingredients together and add them in.
2. Put to base in the baking dish.
3. Mix Fromage frais, egg, sugar, vanilla sugar or caramom together.
4. Put the rhubarbs on the top of the base and pour the filling on the top of the rhubarbs.
5. Bake in the oven in 200 celsius degrees for 30 min.
YUMMY! Serve with vanilla sauce or vanilla custard!