In Finland we celebrate our national poet J.L Runeberg on the 5th of February every year. The tradition is to bake small tarts, well I would call them rather cupcakes, to remember his works. One of Runeberg’s most well-known works is The Tales of Ensign Stål that includes an extremely famous poem about Lotta Svärd. Later this poem was used by the women’s voluntary national defense organisation Lotta Svärd. The poem symbolised the power and courage of Finnish women.
I personally love Runeberg cupcakes as they get a distinctively nice flavour from almonds and arrack aroma or rum. As an expatriate Finn I think these Finnish celebrations become more and more important every year. As I cannot buy the treats from any supermarket, it means I need to bake them myself. Now when I have only 8 days until my official due date and I try desperately distract myself and not to think about the upcoming labour I feel like baking is the best way to just forget the nerve wracking times ahead!! So today (one day late unfortunately) I baked Runeberg cupcakes and they turned out to be delicious. The recipe is from Helsingin Sanomat (the biggest Finnish newspaper). They release the same recipe every year. It is called Fredrika’s cupcakes (Fredriikan tortut) according to poet’s wife. I don’t know if she actually baked these tarts but this particular recipe runs under her name. After testing this recipe I think these Runeberg cupcakes were the best ones I have baked. Simple cupcakes but extremely tasty!!!
Cupcakes (makes 6 cupcakes) :
50g almonds (crushed)
1dl bread crumbs
1 1/2 dl plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1tsp of ground cardamom
1dl double cream
rum or arrack (almond) aroma
icing sugar water mixture and rasberry jam
1. Heat up the oven to 225 celsius degrees.
2. Beat the butter and sugar until creamy.
3. Add egg to the butter sugar mixture and whisk more.
4. Mix plain flour, baking powder and ground cardamom together in a bowl.
5. Add double cream, crushed almonds, bread crumbs and flour mixture to the butter sugar egg mixture and mix well.
6. Put the dough into the cupcake dish and bake in the oven for 15-20min.
7. When cupcakes are cool, add circle of white icing and in the middle of it the rasberry heart. (My icing was a bit runny..I hope you manage to do it better, if you mix the icing sugar with an egg it won’t be but as being pregnant I cannot eat raw eggs..)