I promised to share this super good pumpkin pie recipe with you. For me what makes a good pumpkin pie is that the pumpkin flavour is not too over powering and the pie itself is not too sweet. I also like when the consistency of the filling reminds me of cheesecake. This recipe meets all those requirements.
Once our friend’s American girlfriend served us pumpkin pie that was just like the pumpkin pie I was dreaming of. I asked where the recipe is from and she said it can be found on the can of an American pumpkin puree. Too easy I thought. This year Halloween I trialed it. I went to Whole Foods Market and bought some authentic American pumpkin puree, Libby’s Pumpkin, 100% American, product of USA, and there it was the recipe on the can. I made this pie according to that recipe. I don’t like using ready pastries so I made the pastry myself and it turned out to be tasty too. So here you go the perfect authentic American pumpkin pie!
3dl white flour (1 1/2 cup)
2 tbs sugar
125g sunflower margarin (dairy free) but you can use butter or some other margarin
1 egg yolk
2 eggs lightly beaten
425g ( 1 can) Libby’s solid pack Pumpkin puree
1 3/4 dl sugar (3/4 cup)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 1/2 dl ( 1 1/4 cup) Carnation Evaporated Milk (I think you can used condensed milk if you cannot find evaporated one)
1. Preheat the oven to 220 Celsius degrees.
2. To prepare the pastry mix sugar, flour and margarin by pinching the dough until it is crumbly.
3. Add the egg yolk to the dough and knead well. Fold the pastry nicely into the pie tin.
4. Bake the pie dough in the oven for 10-15 min. Whilst the base is cooking prepare the filling.
5. Combine filling ingredients together. Start with lightly whisking the eggs and add the rest of the filling ingredients after.
6. After the base has been baked for 10-15 minutes take it out and pour the filling into the tin.
7. Lower the heat of the oven to 180 Celsius degrees and bake the pie for 40-50 minutes.
Serve the pumpkin pie with ice cream, whipped cream or vanilla custard! Enjoy!