Like my husband noted last night I have not been very innovative in the kitchen after the baby arrived. As every mother knows this is only due to the busy days with the toddler. After an active day I usually just prefer something quick and easy for dinner, those three hour cooking sessions that we used to have are past, at least for a little while. Last night I felt innovative for some reason, I guess it is this moving. I am so excited about our move, new life in Australia and everything related to that so I feel like I suddenly have a lot more energy than before.
When I was in Finland my mum cooked beetroot patties/burgers, however you prefer to call them and I got inspired. I absolutely love beetroot and particularly with horseradish they are the best friends if you ask me. My mum used buckwheat flour in her patties but I thought I’d try something new. I created beetroot rice patties…and they were amazing! Juicy, delicious, they had that lovely sweet beetroot flavour, crispy on top and yummy! I served them with salad and horseradish cream but they would go perfectly inside of the vegetarian hamburger too. They are dairy and egg free as I tend to cook these days so suitable for vegans too.
Makes 8-10 patties:
2dl (1 cup) cooked long grain rice
3 beetroots (grated but not cooked)
2 tbsp white flour
2 tbsp corn starch like Maizena (this replaces the eggs and ties the dough together)
1 tsp salt
hint of black pepper, white pepper and paprika
1/2 tsp thyme
1. Grate uncooked peeled beetroots.
2. Mix the grated beetroot with cooked rice.
3. Add the white flour and Maizena.
4. Add the spices.
5. Heat up the pan and pour vegetable oil on it (don’t be shy, oil is good for you!)
6. Mould the patties in your hand and put them on the frying pan. Cook them on both sides so that they become crispy on top.
7. Heat up the oven to 200 celsius degrees.
8. Place the cooked patties on the baking tray and bake them for 15 minutes in 200 celsius degrees to finish them and to make sure beetroot is soft and cooked.
Enjoy with salad and horseradish cream!